More than 250 people attended the grand opening of a Taoist shrine at the headquarters of the Taoist Tai Chi Society of Australia in Bayswater, Western Australia, on November 23, 2013.
Special guests at the opening ceremony on Saturday included:
- Mrs Oriel Green, Aboriginal elder
- The Honourable Dr Mike Nahan MLA, Minister for Energy; Finance; Citizenship and Multicultural Interests
- Ms Alannah MacTiernan, MHR for Perth
- Councillor Sylvan Albert, Mayor of Bayswater
- Mr Sammy Yap, Chung Wah Association
- Mr Tony Kwong, of the Fung Loy Kok Institute of Taoism (Canada)
- Mr Jim Nicholson, of the Fung Loy Kok Institute of Taoism (Canada)
A full-page advertorial was published in the local Perth Voice newspaper to inform the community about the shrine opening. Click here to see the ad.
Participants enjoyed a special Jai vegetarian lunch as part of the event.
Many attendees commented on how the presence of the newly dedicated shrine adds warmth and focus to the Bayswater centre’s practice hall.
Members also participated in a 5 day Taoist arts workshop around the time of the grand opening.